Saturday, March 1, 2008

Paradise Cove Garden


This huge Hibiscus Bush is near the entrance to Paradise Cove. Little Harry approached in awe. We called out, "Don't touch!" And he called back -- "I won't!" -- even as I snapped the photo. Look closely at his hand .....



The Pua Aloalo, or yellow Hibiscus, is Hawaii's state flower. Observant readers of this blog might also note that the Hibiscus flower, in all of it's cultivars, is one of my favorites. They are bright, cheerful and bold. No wondering Harry couldn't resist touching.



This is a Pickerel Flower. OC says it is a weed, but they were cultivated and growing lovely in the garden. To me a weed is a plant I don't want. That means an orchid could be a weed if it's growing in the wrong place.


This is a Screw Pine, not really a pine tree of course, but it's fruit does resemble pineapple. I asked one of my coworkers about the tree. She said it is very useful. The leaf fibers can be woven for cloth, the tree has medicinal qualities, and the sap can be used to waterproof thatch roofs. She also said the the fruit is edible and was often eaten during times of drought. I said, "In other words, it doesn't taste very good." She said, "I've never tried it, but they sure don't sell it in the stores!"


This is a Tiki guarding the waterfall from evil spirits.


Just inside the gates of Paradise Cove is a lovely gathering area with small ponds and lily pads on either side. The lilies were blooming, big and beautiful when we were there. Mattie so wanted to touch one that had I not grabbed the back of her shirt, she would have gone swimming.


Dragon flies zipped across the water and hovered over the lilies. The children were enchanted by them -- I was frustrated. They would not be still long enough to have their pictures taken!

5 Comments:

Melli said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS hibiscus! I don't blame that little fella! The water lillies are pretty too!

Anonymous said...

Hawaii is absolutely gorgeous and I am often caught "touching".

Jen said...

Those are beautiful!
I just stumbled on your blog, My family and I are planning a move from the snowy mountains of AZ to Oahu in December of this year, I would love to make some friends over there, and start relationships. We have visited Hawaii 4 times now, Kauai 3 times and the big island once. my husband will be going to the university of hawaii's law school next year, I am so excited!

Anonymous said...

Jen, email headed your way!

Tax Help said...

Beautiful flowers!

Google
 
 

© New Blogger Templates | Make Money Online