Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Greetings from Kailua-Kona

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island, Hawaii.

It is amazing how different one island is from another. Pretty much the same flowers and the same feral cats, but a whole different ambiance. There is much more land here. And fewer people. That makes the atmosphere more laid back and mellow.

OC and I took a sunset stroll through the Keauhou Beach Resort gardens. We came upon a small pond surrounded by vegetation. I was looking for flora to photograph when the water caught my attention. In lieu of a tripod, I braced the camera on OC's shoulder, and took a couple of pics. They pretty much sum up the perfection that was today.



Our stroll through the gardens brought us face to face (okay, ankle) with a mongoose, two geckos, several birds, a couple of cats, and a huge variety of exotic plants and flowers. The beauty is breath-taking.



Kalakaua Cottage, a replica of the beach house of King David Kalakaua, which was built on this site but destroyed in the late 1950s. King David used to fish and swim in the tide pools OC and I are hoping to get a chance to snorkel in tomorrow. I understand Keauhou Beach is a natural honu habitat. If I'm lucky I'll get a photo.

Aloha!

1 Comment:

Jen said...

Oh I hope you got to snorkel Kealakeakuea bay by Kona, it is the most beautiful snorkeling I have ever done, we saw a few honu's, and my husband got caught right in the middle of a pod of spinners, he said they would stay right by him unless he tried to touch them, then they would move just out of reach.... of course I was too pregnant to swim as long as him at the time and had just turned back.... with the camera :(

It is a beautiful island isn't it?

Google
 
 

© New Blogger Templates | Make Money Online