Saturday, November 10, 2007

Hawaiian Roast Pig

Moist. Delicious. Smoky.

Traditional roast pig is a luau dish. The pig is wrapped in lualua (taro) leaves, lowered into a pit and slow barbecued for hours. Nowadays the pig is more often roasted in a crock pot for 6-8 hours, even so, it remains an island delight. It is traditionally served with long rice, poi, and/or sweet potatoes. Hawaiians don't believe in eating until they're full, they believe in eating until they are tired!

My first taste of Kalua Pig was heavenly and that was all I got -- a taste. One bite just isn't enough. I determined to research the recipe, but before I had a chance I wandered near a wedding party in the Kapolei Park and they offered me a plate of Kalua Pig for a small price. I paid.

It's a bit salty, but definately yummy. If you're in Hawaii this is a "must taste" item.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, where is the best place to experience the Hawaiian roasted pig in Oahu?

Anonymous said...

The best kalua pig i tried in oahu,when i watched germaines luau.I love their kalua pig.You might want to try it

Google
 
 

© New Blogger Templates | Make Money Online